Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring Planting: Time to Get Your Garden On


Spring has arrived here in middle Tennessee. A few days ago there were frost warnings on the plateau but it only got down to around 40 south of Nashville where I live. Any other year and I would not have been so anxious to plant my garden but when it has been reaching over 75-80 degrees seemingly everyday, so I just had to go a head and get started.
       I have planted eight Early Girl tomato plants. These are great for any gardener and are ready to slice and put on the table in just 57 days from transplant. I also have two cherry tomato plants. They are one inch tomatoes that are ready to harvest in 70 days from transplant.
       The bell peppers I planted will be ready in 75 days from transplant. They should grow to an approximate size of 4 x 3 ½ inches. If you like stuffed bell peppers, these luscious wonders are right for your table. I did not plant any banana peppers this year. The mild peppers I planted last year were just too mild. They tasted more like a bell pepper. Even a few jalapeƱos in the pickle jar did not make them taste like “hotter bananas”. So this year I just planted a few more jalapenos. These eye-watering beauties will be ready for harvest in 72 days. They will reach a mature length of around three inches.